Here at Birch Point Dental Clinic, we’re dedicated to ensuring that you have excellent oral health with a radiant smile. The health of our smile is deeply connected to that of the rest of our body. As time goes by, we’re learning more about how every aspect of our health impacts and is impacted by the conditions that affect our oral cavity. One such relationship is that of the health of our thyroid and our oral health. We’ve provided this guide to cover the details of how problems with your thyroid can result from oral health problems and what oral concerns they can cause.
Connecting Thyroid Problems With Oral Health
Located at the back of our necks is a small gland known as the thyroid. This gland is essential to managing various bodily functions, including hormone regulation and our metabolism. Studying the interaction of our oral health with the thyroid has led to several revelations.
- Dry Mouth And Saliva: Imbalances in the thyroid can result in a reduction in the production of saliva. This condition, xerostomia, is also known as dry mouth. Saliva has an important role in protecting our oral health by eliminating neutralizes acids, preventing cavities, and remineralizing the teeth.
- Gum Disease And Thyroid Dysfunction: Those with health concerns impacting the thyroid demonstrate an increased susceptibility to gum disease. When left untreated, this condition can also impact the functioning of the thyroid due to chronic inflammation.
- Oral Discomfort And Problems Swallowing: Goiter, a condition caused by an enlarged thyroid gland, can make it difficult to swallow and cause discomfort. This can make it difficult to properly perform oral hygiene, increasing the risk of dental problems.
Avoiding the complications caused by poor oral and thyroid health requires that you take a collaborative and comprehensive approach to your healthcare:
- Collaboration With Healthcare Providers: It’s essential that you ensure your healthcare provider and our dental team are in direct communication. Together, we can help identify the best treatment options ahead for you. This is the benefit of having your healthcare providers working as a team.
- Consistent Oral Hygiene: Keeping up with your oral hygiene routine is essential, especially if you’re struggling with thyroid concerns. Thoroughly flossing, brushing, and cleaning your tongue while following it up with mouthwash will help mitigate all the related issues.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated: Hydration is particularly important for those with thyroid health issues. As mentioned previously, problems with your thyroid can lead to the development of dry mouth.
Call Us For Thyroid Based Oral Concerns
Preserving your oral health is an essential part of maintaining your quality of life when living with thyroid concerns. Understanding how these two conditions impact each other will help you take steps to proactively control your oral health concerns. You can start by reaching out to us at (807) 698-8838 and arranging for your consultation with our team. During your visit, we’ll do a thorough examination of your dental health and develop an effective treatment plan. Together, we’ll ensure that your smile will remain radiant and beautiful, even while struggling with thyroid concerns.